The Environmental Committee has designed and mounted new signs in the produce and bulk aisles as a way of reminding members about the PSFC's Environmental Policy, which aims to "achieve environmentally sound packaging."
Fabric bags and other biodegradable containers are great re-usable alternatives to the plastic produce and bulk bags provided by the PSFC and other food stores.
PSFC members banned plastic T-Shirt bags at checkout. Now it is time to take the next step and kick the plastic bag addiction in the bulk and produce aisles.
For Earth Day, take the Plastic-Free Pledge and transition to a healthy, re-usable alternative!
Reasons to RE-USE:
- PSFC members currently spend over $30,000 on plastic produce and bulk bags annually.
- PSFC members use 3.5 million plastic produce and bulk bags each year.
- Plastic contains toxic additives that leach into our food, soil, water, and air.
- Plastic never biodegrades.
- Plastic recycling is inefficient and ineffective. Less than 2% of disposable plastic waste is recycled and even it will end up in the ocean or landfill eventually.