10 bio-degradable bags a year for their shopping.
Other countries with bans include:
- Mexico City last year banned shops from giving out plastic bags that are not bio-degradable.
- France also imposed a similar law.
- China has adopted a strict limit on plastic bags, reducing litter and eliminating the use of 40 billion bags.
- In Tanzania, selling the bags carries a maximum six-month jail sentence and a fine of 1.5 million shilling ($1,137).
- Mumbai, India, outlawed plastic bags in 2000
- Cities in Australia, South Africa and Taiwan have imposed bans or surcharges.
- Ireland was able to reduce plastic bag use by 90 percent after imposing a fee on each one--money from the fee went to environmental work.
Information from CNN Online. Photo courtesy of Warminster People.