The vote to Reduce Plastic Roll Bag Use has been scheduled for February 25th General Meeting at the Bishop Ford Central Catholic High School, 500 19th Street between 10th Ave and Prospect Park West.
The original "Plastic Roll Bag Phaseout" proposal has evolved based on feedback and suggestions from the membership. We HEARD you. Thank you!
Please watch our new video presentation and read the proposal below!
Download our General Meeting Handouts for more information.
Proposal to Reduce Plastic Roll Bag Use(The original "Plastic Roll Bag Phaseout" proposal has evolved based on feedback and suggestions from the membership.)
This proposal aims to reduce the Coop's dependence on plastic roll bags on the shopping floor by:
- Ending the free distribution of plastic roll bags and making them available for purchase at a minimal cost of 20¢ per bag.
- Insuring the Coop stocks a selection of low-cost, lightweight, reusable roll bag alternatives.
- Improving floor signage and access to reusable bags.
- Encouraging members to reuse plastic bags already taken from the Coop and elsewhere.
- Providing educational activities and communications to help with member transition.
- Ensuring the Coop implements a method of selling plastic roll bags by April 2014.
The goal of this proposal is to encourage bag reuse, help reduce plastic waste, and raise awareness about this environmentally damaging material.
PSA "The Shopper"
- Proposal Slideshow - Committee Findings (Slideshare)
- Watch "The Shopper" (YouTube)
- Download How to Shop Without a Plastic Bag (PDF)
- Questions? Find answers with these FAQs
- Voice your support at the upcoming February 25th General Meeting VOTE!
- Show your support by adding your name to the Supporters List and liking us on Facebook.
- Check out our upcoming tabling events and GM Committee Reports
- Make the switch to reusable bags and check out these tips for shopping with and caring for reusable produce bags.