1. Buying in bulk (i.e. no individually wrapped items)Bea Johnson, the mom of the family, says that shopping is like voting. She chooses environmentally sound products and does not "vote" for ones that are disposable or overly packaged.
2. Using reusable bags and containers at all times
3. Buying only what you really need
4. Avoiding any purchases containing or wrapped in plastic
5. Getting off catalogue and junk mail lists
While she does write to manufacturers to request that they alter the packaging or other aspects of their products, Bea says that living a zero waste lfestyle is neither time consuming nor expensive.
Bea Johnson is using a mesh produce bag for her vegetables (in the photo above left). These and other produce bags are available at a discount to PSFC members until May 30.
Read the article for more great tips on approaching a zero waste lifestyle.