The Park Slope Food Coop is the first supermarket in Brooklyn to earn the ENERGY STAR. To earn the ENERGY STAR, The Park Slope Food Coop took the following actions:
- Installed air conditioning systems that run off natural gas instead of electricity and release zero ozone depleting CFC’s into the atmosphere
- Installed an efficient refrigeration system that uses glycol as its prime refrigerant
- Replaced fluorescent light fixtures with ones that use efficient electronic ballasts
- Replaced T-12 fluorescent bulbs with more efficient T-8 bulbs
- Replaced incandescent bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs
- Replaced traditional electric exit signs with ones that are lit with LED bulbs
- Recover heat from frozen food compressors to heat hot water
- Recover heat from frozen food compressors to dehumidify
- Recover cold air from some refrigeration cases to reduce air conditioning load
For more information about ENERGY STAR visit http://www.energystar.gov/. For more information about The Park Slope Food Coop visit foodcoop.com.
*To calculate greenhouse gas emissions, please visit http://www.epa.gov/cleanenergy/energy-resources/calculator.html/.